Our Village

War Memorial

Remembering Granborough’s fallen and caring for their memorial.
Granborough War Memorial
Granborough War Memorial

The memorial

The memorial is a free-standing Gothic-style Latin cross with tracery details in the angles of each arm. It stands almost five metres high on a tapering chamfered shaft. The plinth bears the inscription:

1914–1918 · THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE · IN HONOURED REMEMBRANCE OF ALL WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR AND ESPECIALLY OF THOSE FROM GRANBOROUGH

The plinth sits on an octagonal two-tiered base. The upper tier records the names of five men from Granborough who fell in the First World War. It stands at St John the Baptist Church, Granborough MK18 3NS.
Granborough Roll of Honour
Roll of Honour

The Fallen

Herbert Foskett

Private 10839 · 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers · Died 30 September 1915 · Pieta Military Cemetery.

Ernest Thomas Rickard

Private 26283 · 5th Battalion, Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry · Died 9 April 1917, aged 29 · Arras Memorial, France. Son of Thomas and Flora Rickard and husband of Nina Rickard.

Aubery John Dickins

Private 5438 · 1st/28th Battalion, London Regiment (Artists’ Rifles) · Died 3 June 1916, aged 18 · St Sever Cemetery, Rouen, France. Son of Joseph and Gertrude Dickins of Green End House.

Rowland Dickens

Private 2061 · Queen’s Own Oxfordshire Hussars · Died 22 February 1915, aged 19 · Ypres (Menin Gate), Belgium. Son of Edward and Elizabeth Dickens.

Charles Ernest Curtis

Private 1141 · Royal Buckinghamshire Hussars · Died 21 August 1915, aged 29 · Helles Memorial, Turkey. Son of Robert and Mary Leah Curtis, who farmed at Lower Hogshaw.
The cross and inscription of Granborough War Memorial
The memorial cross

Memorial Maintenance

Conservation

The Parish Council restored the memorial in 2011 with help from a War Memorials Trust grant. Conservation included specialist cleaning, lime-mortar repairs and drainage improvements around the brick base. Further careful cleaning and repairs followed in 2014.

The memorial was listed by Historic England in September 2016, so future work requires approval. In 2017 the Council secured consent for another specialist clean and repairs to weather damage. The Trust recommends that this cleaning takes place no more than once every five years to protect the limestone.